Thursday, February 19, 2009

Inspiration Lost and Found


This is pretty amazing, by French stylist Camille Soulayrol, found via Apartment Therapy NY. You would have to have some pretty large ovum to actually have that in your house, though. It would be easy to mistake that kind of creativity as ramshackle. I still don't know if I would do it. I think it might be a little too rustic for my tastes. Maybe if it weren't raw wood, but then, isn't the raw wood just-tacked-up-there feeling part of the appeal. The red birds are what make it look deliberate, in my opinion.

Maybe if it was a mix of painted woods? Maybe in the white/blue/gray range, something subtle, but not feeling like it was pulled off of packing crates? The bench and the boots help to pull it together, too.
What I like about this picture is actually something I lost. I had a book case that looked like this, but dark wood. It also had glass doors on it, but the glass doors were misaligned and wouldn't close and I was getting frustrated with the whole thing, so I left it behind in NY. Of course, now I can see the lost potential. Why didn't I just take off the doors, strip the worn finish and paint it?

Shoot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

p.s. I love looking at this new blog of yours. We have similar styles.