Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bhunga Homes of India

Just discovered a gorgeous blogger, Vineeta, over at artnlight. She posted about the mud homes of Gujarat in India, and I had to gather up the beauty right here. Her post is much more informative, so give her a looksee.

These are homes created by indigenous people, these are not designer rooms created by someone being inspired by Indians. This is the source. This is far from American, far from contemporary, and I like it. To be truthful, I don't think I would make my own house to look like this, but there are things here that inspire me. I love the tone on tone texture of these embedded mirror decorations. I love the pops of color. I love the intricacy of the pattern.

I think it's the bohemian in me, the hippie child, the rainbow baby that loves the Indian patterns. I once bought my sister a quilt of antique Indian fabrics. It's still hanging on her wall, I think. I love the deep colors, reds and golds and browns and purples.

I have moved away from the more elaborate design myself. I've been leaning toward more serene spaces, less clutter and collection, fewer swirls and ornamentation... but I still love this.

I think there's a way to combine the richness and detail here with a more modern, sleek design.

Actually, I think it fits with my philosophy of life.

It's easy to get carried away with all the beauty of stuff, with wildness and ideas and desires. But if we can find a way to contain the exuberance, we can avoid being overwhelmed. Just because you want to be more zen doesn't mean you can't enjoy the bounty of life, does it?

Even in this house you can see it. The neutral background, the straight and simple lines, the humble materials, put together with the amazing designs and lovely colors.

Just think about it. Chocolate is wonderful, but if you eat it all the time you get sick and fat. If you savor small pieces as sometimes treats, it's one of the great joys of the world. I don't think I'm exaggerating the appeal of good chocolate, either.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the soft colors and the details. I'd like to take a nap in that room today.

Anonymous said...

Gasp! Exquisite! That bedroom with the nook full of candles is to die for. Thanks so much for another amazing link. P.S. I'd love to hear about post-Rainbow child life sometime :-)